Meerlust is the winery that put South Africa on the world wine map when it made Rubicon, a Bordeaux style blend, in the 1980s and the rest, as they say, is history.
The pack contains:
x1 Meerlust Pinot Noir 2015
x1 Meerlust Pinot Noir 2017
x1 Meerlust Merlot 2015
x1 Meerlust Cabernet Sauvignon 2012
x1 Meerlust Rubicon 2013
x1 Meerlust Rubicon 2015
- Meerlust Pinot Noir 2015: 2015 was one of the best vintages for Pinot Noir on the estate. Grapes handpicked and selected in the coolness of morning before partial de-stemming and crushing. Intense, vivid translucent youthful purple-ruby appearance. The wine shows pronounced lifted perfume on the nose with red berry fruit, musk, wild mushrooms and hints of savoury richness and spice and a clean vibrant minerality. . On the palate there are very pure Pinot fruit flavours on entry with red cherry and musk flavours coupled with fresh acidity. The wine has layered complexity with great elegance and finesse. Very fine lacy, almost powdery tannin on the finish.
- Meerlust Pinot Noir 2017: Intense, vivid translucent youthful purple-ruby appearance. The wine shows pronounced lifted perfume on the nose with red berry fruit, musk, wild mushrooms and hints of savoury richness and spice and a clean vibrant minerality. On the palate there are very pure Pinot fruit flavours on entry with red cherry and musk flavours coupled with fresh acidity. The wine has layered complexity with great elegance and finesse. Very fine lacy, almost powdery tannin on the finish.
- Meerlust Merlot 2015: 2015 was a watershed vintage for Meerlust Merlot. The vineyard team have been refining the viticulture to produce more balanced, flavourful fruit. This, coupled with the perfect conditions of 2015 has produced their best Merlot yet. Deep, youthful purple colour with a ruby rim. Intense dark brambly fruit on the nose, mulberry, liquorice and damson plum with hints of dark chocolate and spice, tempered by a stony minerality. The medium-full bodied palate offers generous, ripe, pure Merlot fruit with refreshing acidity, structured yet silky tannins and pronounced length and minerality. There is a core of juiciness, opulence and richness typical of the variety, while the Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot lend greater complexity to the wine.
- Meerlust Cabernet Sauvignon 2012: The Cabernet Sauvignon grape is the backbone of the Meerlust Rubicon but in its own right the Meerlust Cabernet Sauvignon is a great red wine. The '12 vintage was very good and produced classic Meerlust quality fruit. In the cellar 75% new and 25% second fill tight grain Nevers oak barrels were used for the 20 month maturation.
- Meerlust Rubicon 2013: Classic Rubicon from a very good vintage. The weather played along exactly as hoped for and Meerlust had very good harvests of all the component grapes of the Rubicon. The blend composition was 67% Cabernet Sauvignon, 14% Merlot, 12% Cabernet Franc and 7% Petit Verdot. As with all good vintage Rubicons, ageing potential 15-20 years, depending on storage conditions.
- Meerlust Rubicon 2015: The 2015 vintage South African red wines have stunned everybody and the '15 Meerlust Rubicon is proof of that. It is, they say, a wine of a generation and an instant collector's item. That is if you can keep the cork in long enough.... The Rubicon 2015 is showing all of the hallmarks of a great, classic vintage of Rubicon. Incredibly dense purple-ebony core with very slight gradation at the rim. The nose is brooding, dark bramble fruit, cassis, plum, incense and liquorice, it is still very tightly coiled, slowly offering cigar box, crushed stone and subtle oak spice. On the palate the wine is concentrated yet restrained with dark fruit flavours of pastille, mulberry and dark chocolate, all held in an intricate lattice of polished sleek grape tannin. Still very young yet approachable, this Rubicon promises a long future of maturation and enjoyment. Blend: 61% Cabernet Sauvignon, 23% Merlot, 12% Cabernet Franc and 4% Petit Verdot
Meerlust Vintage 6 Pack
Rubicon: Bordeaux Blend